Sunday, June 16, 2019
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
Home » Libya » Joint Communique on Libya

Friday 19th April 2013 

football stadium

Libya plans to invest 400 million dinars ($314 million) on building stadiums this year as it prepares to host the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations. Construction of these stadiums will resume in June.

“Just like Nelson Mandela unified South Africa, we hope to unify Libya under this cup,” Libyan Deputy Prime Minister Awad Ibrahim Elbarasi told Reuters.

“We will resume construction of these stadiums in June and have asked the government for a budget of 400 million dinars to build 11 stadiums this year,” added Elbarasi.

Libya plans to build a new 60,000-seater stadium for the hosting of the 2017 African Nations Cup finals, Sports Minister Abdussalam Guaila told reporters recently.

Libya had originally been scheduled to host the 2013 Nations Cup.
Events in Libya made South Africa, who had been down for the 2017 event, hosts the event instead.

Last month, Libya said it would use all its resources to ensure that it kept the right to host the 2017 finals.

A second stadium for the tournament, seating 23,000 spectators, is planned for the coastal city of Misrata. Matches would also be held in the eastern city of Benghazi, Libya’s second biggest city, the Libya news agency reported.

“The security situation is exaggerated from reality. We’re actually in a much better position than many of our neighbours,” , Elbarasi said.

Meanwhile, world football’s governing body Fifa has lifted a ban on Libya hosting matches, the Libyan Football Federation said.

The move comes after a decision last month by the Confederation of African Football (Caf) to again allow continental club competition matches to be hosted in Libya.

Source: Tripoli Post 

Categories: News, Press

You must be logged in to post a comment.