Sunday, October 21, 2018
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
Home » Libya » Joint Communique on Libya

Assassinations spark demonstrations in Benghazi

Benghazi, 26 February 2014:

A day of more killings and several attempted assassinations has sparked protests and road blockades across Benghazi this evening.

Jamal Street, one of the main thoroughfares in central Benghazi’s Sidi Hussein district, was shut to traffic at around 5:30pm, blocked at both ends by burning tyres and make-shift barriers. A few dozen young men could be seen congregated at either end, gathered in protest.

Benghazi’s Airport Road, Twenty Street, Hadiqa Street and Dubai Street were all also shut this evening by groups of local people. Nearby shops closed early and the very few cars which could be seen on the road, during what is usually rush hour in the city, were heading straight for home.

One of the protestors on Jamal Street told the Libya Herald the road had been closed in solidarity with demonstrations in other areas. He said local people were enraged at the current security situation and said action had to be taken.

Another Benghazi resident said that the people of Benghazi felt neglected and ignored. She said it was too much to bear that on a day of violence in the city, national TV had shown politicians and officials celebrating the laying of the foundation stone of a new stadium in Tajoura.

Security officials Ali Mohammed Al-Barrat and  Siddik Sultan Suleiman were killed by unknown gunmen in separate assassinations today. There have also been reports of the killings of as many as three other members of the security forces, although theses have not been confirmed.

Libya Herald
Categories: Libya, News, Press

Comments are closed.