Monday, June 25, 2018
  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
Home » Libya » Joint Communique on Libya

By Libya Herald staff.
Tripoli, 25 September 2014

United Nations Resident Coordinator in Libya, Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, has said that the security conditions and the lack of access to some affected areas are a major challenge for national and international humanitarian organisations, and are stopping vital aid being delivered to some of those who need it.

Ahmed has called on all sides to end the ongoing violence and guarantee the protection of civilians. Safe corridors had to be set up to enable the delivery of humanitarian aid to affected areas, he insisted.

Tens of thousands of families have been displaced by the fighting in Tripoli and Benghazi, Ahmed said. Because many of them were being being hosted by local communities, there was an added burden on households and public services both in western and eastern Libya.

In addition to acute shortages of food, fuel, electricity and cash reserves at banks, hospitals in Tripoli had been overwhelmed by the increased demand for medical treatment and even basic health care, he pointed out.

“We are working hard to provide urgent humanitarian assistance. With the support of UN agencies and other national and international humanitarian partners, local authorities have delivered relief assistance, including food items and non-food supplies, to vulnerable groups in the affected communities. Efforts are also underway by the UN to deliver additional humanitarian assistance over the next few days. This will be undertaken in close cooperation with national partners,” Ahmed said.

Source: Libya Herald

Categories: Libya, News, Press

Comments are closed.